Friday, July 4, 2014

CARROT Hotdogs!

*Casie Here*
I have ONLY known about carrot dogs for about 3 years (thanks to Ashley), but this is the very first time I have attempted to make them. Don't ask me why it took me so long to try them, because I truly don't know. And I kinda knew this would happen, but they are simply one of the most awesome "meat" replacements I have tried. I am sorry I haven't tried to make these sooner. How can a carrot taste like a hot dog????
 Ummmm, these really do!
 I didn't take picts of the other steps,, but I should have. It was really easy. HERE is the recipe I followed from a fellow Omaha vegan girl! The only thing I did differently was add some vegan Worcestershire sauce to my marinade, everything else was the same as her recipe.
 Everyone LOVED them. The kids gobbled them right up and all the adults just raved about them. They don't taste like carrots at all. They tasted like a gosh darn hotdog, BUT without the yucky feeling you get from knowing all the animal parts that are ground up and unhealthy additives (nitrates, etc..) in real hot dogs. 
I put sautéed onions on the bun as well as DILL relish (NOT sweet relish, just plain dill relish) and then ketchup and mustard on the top. OMG it was just delicious. 


 I promise you will love them if you try them!
I used real minced ginger instead of powdered ginger, that is why mine have "chunks" on them. But you can't even taste the ginger in the final dog. It's just part of the magical marinade! 
 It's as simple as boiling them until fork tender, stopping the cooking process by shocking them in ice water. Putting them in a ziplock baggie full of marinade. Leave them overnight and when you are ready, heat up in a skillet with some of the marinade. They are easy and amazing great!
GO MAKE THEM TODAY. DON'T wait 3 years like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment