Friday, July 5, 2013

Banana Chai Smoothie

I've been thinking about making a chai tea smoothie for awhile and yesterday I decided to give it a try. 
 
The black tea in chai is rich in antioxidants because of the inclusion of cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg so it is a very healthy drink if you make it yourself.  Chai mixes you can buy at the store contain alot of sugar and just don't taste as good as that from your own loose or bagged chai tea.  Normally, we have hot chai tea but on this warm afternoon I wanted to serve something chilled.  Since the kids were going to be drinking this, I made sure the chai tea was decaffeinated.
 
If you have never have tasted chai tea before, the spice combination reminds me of pumpkin pie.
 
Ingredients: Decaf chai tea bags, almond milk(we use Blue Diamond), frozen bananas, flax seed meal, dates and cinnamon.
 
This smoothie was an experiment and it was TASTY!
 3 tea bags of decaf chai tea steeping in cold Almond milk for at least 20 min( I gave it about 30 minutes but you could leave it in the refrigerator overnight).
 
 4 dates with the pit taken out.
 Frozen Bananas + chai tea/almond milk liquid + flax seed meal(1 teaspoon per serving).  I realized I needed more liquid for 5 servings so I used the original 3 tea bags and let them steep in a second round of almond milk for about 10 minutes.
 
 Blend.......

.....and serve.
 


Some cinnamon on top to be a bit fancy and add some more nutrition! 
This was REALLY good! The whole family loved it.  
 
Try it soon and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment