Monday, January 6, 2014

Bean & Lentil Veggie Burgers

*Casie Here*
Tonight I was in the mood to make some Veggie Burgers. I do what I normally do when I am looking for a recipe. I search the internet to find in general what I am looking for, then I read a bunch of different recipes and then I kind of combine them to make my own concoction. Tonight was no different. 

I made 1 cup of red lentils according to package directions (1 cup lentils and 2 cups of water ~ boiled both together and lower temp, simmer for 40 mins.)

I started off sautéing in a little olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped

I added:
4-5 ribs of celery, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
6-8 button mushrooms, diced

I added:
cumin
paprika
little ginger
salt & pepper

Drain & rinse
1 can of black beans
1 can of pinto beans

In my food processor I ground up 1/2 cup quick oats to a fine powder
  I also had some extra. old bread that I had toasted up and ground up into bread crumbs.
Put those dried powders in a large bowl.

I put the beans in the food processor and pulsed them until all chopped and mushy, then transfer to the bowl.

I put the sautéed veggies in the food processor to ground up fine, then transfer to the bowl.

I added the lentils when they were done (they are already mushy no need for them to go in the food processor).

I added a drizzle of Tahini Paste and some Braggs Liquid aminos.

I added some vital wheat gluten (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup) to the bowl and mixed it all together. You can add more wheat gluten if mixture is too sticky and wet. 
Combine all and form into patties. 
I just used a hot pan and sprayed with non-stick, but you could use a griddle or the actual grill. 
Heat both sides and enjoy! 

We had ours with dill pickle relish, organic ketchup and mustard. YUMMMM!




No comments:

Post a Comment