Thursday, May 22, 2014

What is my eye color?

I love using my slit lamp camera to show patients what I see with the microscope. I often get asked the questions, "What color are my eyes?" or "Why do my eyes change color?".
One of the reasons why eye color is difficult to identify and can appear to change is due to various lighting, mood (affects size of pupil and viewable iris color) and color of clothing/cosmetics (someone with blue eyes can accentuate their eye color by wearing a blue dress or applying blue eye shadow).
The photos below were taken of the same eye but using different light sources. It is interesting to see how the top iris picture looks more uniform brown > green and the bottom iris picture appears to split the aqua/brown.
For this person, if their pupil is small the iris will be stretched out and you will see equal amounts of the colors. If the pupil is larger, the iris will fold up like an accordion and you may see more of the brown pigment causing the iris to look more brown. One's mood can cause the pupil to constrict or dilate and, thus, can affect the perceived eye color.

No comments:

Post a Comment