Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner

Tonight we had breakfast for dinner and boy was it good. Hit the spot on this drizzly, crisp day.
 I made seasoned potatoes (both sweet and regular). I made 2 medium sweet potatoes and I think it was 5 or 6 regular, smaller potatoes. I cubbed them up and put them in a gallon Ziplock bag. Poured a little olive oil in there along with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, an Italian dressing pouch, and a couple tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast. Shook it all up (actually I had some helpers do this part). Laid it out on a lightly sprayed baking sheet in a single layer and baked at 350 for about an hour. I like them pretty crispy and not soggy, so I go for a really long time. You could do a higher heat like 400 and it would take a little less time like 40-45 mins. It makes the house smell delicious! 
 I made some scrambled "eggs" to go with them. I started with a small onion diced and some canned mushrooms. Sauteed them in a little olive oil until the onions were translucent. I threw in some extra firm tofu that had the water drained off them. You don't really need to cook this, just warm it through. I pretty much followed the recipe for Tufu Scramble from The Happy Herbivore (talked about in this post HERE). I added a squirt of dijion mustard, nutritional yeast and sprinkles of the following: garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper. Mixed it all in and DONE! It was REALLY, really good. 
Added some steamed veggies and dinner was served. The kids ate every speck on their plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment