Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Homemade Popcicles

I know we are sliding into fall and this really should be a summer post. I don't know about your kids, but mine like Pocicles all year round. I wanted to find a healthier, more nutritious (and cheaper) alternative to the store bought ones. Now the ones we got were the low sugar Edy's brand fruit bars. I didn't think they were really that unhealthy, but they were quite expensive. And making them myself, I can control the sugar and ingredients.

There are TONS of homemade recipes online. I am trying a few to see how the kids like them. I will give the recipes and reviews as I try different ones. 
 Now, you can use fresh fruit, but I didn't want to waste all our fresh fruit to make Popcicles, so I used frozen fruit. I had a bag of organic frozen whole strawberries. I put those in a small sauce pan with a tiny bit of water and 'unthawed them' over medium heat. I added a little bit of honey (maybe a tablespoon or so). After the strawberries were unthawed and simmered with the honey. I transferred that to the blender and added 1 small container of Coconut Milk Yogurt in Pina Colada flavor (my favorite by the way). I blended that all up and poured it into the Popsicle containers. Popped them in the freezer and they were done. 
 Our daughter is a Popsicle expert and fanatic. This was going to be the true test. If she liked them, I would be able to make our own and slowly move away from the store bought ones. She loved them and didn't have any complaints. She actually thinks that is pretty cool that mom made them. 
 I am going to try some different fruits and change up the ingredients a little with my next ones. So stay tuned!!!

Happy Popsicle making!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment