Friday, December 7, 2012

Roasted Veggie Soup

*Casie Here*
This is my basic winter veggie soup recipe. You can substitute any of the veggies and just use whatever you have in the house at the time. It is WONDERFUL to use up any veggies that are about to be on the brink. They once had good intention of being used in a meal, but sadly never made it and ended up in the bottom of the crisper drawer. Anyway, use what'ch got and however much of it to make a smaller or larger batch. 
 I chop up and roast the veggies. This makes a BIG difference in flavor. It gives it depth and a much fuller flavor. Yes, you could just chop everything up and throw it in a pot and cook away, but roasting first really does make all the flavor! I toss with little olive oil or more recently I have been cooking with coconut oil (it's healthier). A little s & p and you are good to go. Throw in the oven on 350 for 30 mins or so. 
In this one I used butternut squash, sweet potatoes. regular potatoes onions and garlic. But I also love parsnips and carrots, even celery if I have them on hand.
 I did have a couple leeks on hand this time, so I chopped those up too, but didn't roast those. I added those to the pot after all the others came out of the oven. If you have never used a leek, don't be scared. They are big and scary looking, but you chop off all the dark 'leaves' on the stem as well as the little roots sticking out of the other end and discard. Then you are left with the part you eat and it reminds me of celery (I chop it first, then clean them. Putting them in a salad spinner with vinegar water does a nice job getting all the sand and grit off them, then you can rinse and spin it all dry and throw it in. Easy and fast). I pour in some organic vegetable stock usually just one box (we like ours thicker more stew-like, not watery and super thin). Add some favorite spices. My all time favorite spice is cumin. LOVE IT! I use it in almost every single dish I make. Had to buy me the BIG tub from the Sams spice department! ; ) Oregano and parsley are always good with roasted veggies too and a couple Bay leaves. More salt and peppa if you choose. I make sure there is enough salt (it makes a big difference). There is a fine line though between not quite enough and TOO much. Be careful! Get it to a good low boil and then is the fun part. I get my *new* immersion blender out and go to town pureeing it all up together (DON'T forget to take the bay leaves out first). Before I had my nifty immersion blender, I would transfer all of it to a blender in messy batches and back into the original soup pot. So glad I don't have to do that any more. 
What you have it a smooth, hearty roasted veggie soup that will keep you warm and toasty all winter. ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment