Saturday, August 18, 2012

Apple Crisp

 Since my generous neighbor shared some of his apples from his apple tree with us, I decided to make some apple crisp. I need to take this time to tell you all that I am not really a recipe follower. Most of the time I make my own concoction and I also mix a bunch of recipes together (I will do a search on the Internet of what I am wanting to make. I will read through a bunch of the recipes and basically combine them all together. Like lets say one doesn't include vanilla, but another does. I will just use everything everyone is using from all different recipes). I know it sounds weird, but that's how I roll. I also don't usually measure. I just start throwin stuff in. I will try to take my best guess as to how much I use of ingredients when I am sharing recipes. 
 So I had about ummmm maybe 8 or 9 apples (sorry I didn't count them). I took the skins off with my Pampered Chef apple corer and peeler. I love it! I bought mine off e-bay a long time ago and only use it about 4-6 times a year, but when I need it, I need it and I love it! So I squirted one lemon juiced over all the apples while I made the rest. I also added a little bit of Splenda brown sugar in and around the apples.
 I forgot to take the butter out of the fridge to come to room temp early, so I defrosted it in the microwave for a couple seconds to soften it up, it doesn't take long, so don't walk away just stay right there for like 5 seconds! I mixed one stick of softened butter with about 3/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar and 1/4 regular white sugar (mine is organic cane sugar). Then I threw in about 1 1/2 cups of rolled oats (I love them so I put a lot in). I added about 1 cup of chopped walnuts chopped up in the food processor. I added about 1/2 cup flour (mine is 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat mixed). I threw in a dash of salt and a splash of vanilla extract. I also sprinkled in some ground flax seed, about 2 tablespoons). Mixed it all until it got crumbly and evenly distributed.
 Kept mixing everything together until I was happy.
 Poured it in a lightly sprayed 11x13 Pyrex dish. 
 Threw it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Well, actually I set the timer on the microwave for 20 minutes and somehow in the process of cooking dinner at the same time, my timer got shut off (I don't think it was by me though, I think it was the hubs). So, I was smelling DONE, getting-too-crispy apple crisp and ran over to take it out. It was at least 30-35 minutes that it was actually in there. I would have preferred just a little less time, but it turned out really good anyway and wasn't burnt or anything. I HAVE TO HAVE A TIMER SET on every thing I make. If I don't I will almost always forget about it and it will be over cooked. Timers are my friend (unless someone shuts it off on me)! 
Vernon and the kids LOVED it. And it's already gone...

No comments:

Post a Comment