Sunday, September 2, 2012

A walk with my daughter, a memory forever.

I came to the understanding a few years ago that if a father doesn't provide his daughter with an appropriate amount of attention that she will either find less than preferred ways to get my attention or she will replace me with some other guy that gives her the attention she is seeking.  I will do anything in my power to make sure neither of those two latter options ever to happen.  My daughter will always have as much of my undivided attention as she requires.
When it's father-daughter time each night, I like to create an experience for her that combines as many of the these components:  love, personalized activity, discovery, discussion, education, teamwork, movement/fitness, respect, communication(speaking and listening), creativity, music, laughter, wonder, decision making skills and memorable moments.  One of my favorite activities to involve all of these concepts is.........a walk. 
Tonight, Sophia and I went for a walk.....with a candle-lit lantern in hand.  We talked about school, her classmates, her teacher and her lunch she brings to school.  We talked about music and songs.  We talked positively about her mom,  brothers and her grandparents.  We complimented a homeowner on their flowers and landscaping.  I had her decide where to walk, how far to walk and I let her lead the discussion topics.  We greeted other walkers with a confident hello and offered other pleasantries in passing.  We walked for almost two miles without her realizing we were even getting any exercise.  We laughed and sang, we looked for stars in the dark blue sky and we stopped to close our eyes so we could listen to the sounds of the world around us.  We interrupted our walk twice to exchange hugs.  We held hands.  We planned and promised each other we would go for many more lantern walks, flashlight walks, silly outfit walks, morning walks, rain/umbrella walks, snow walks and glow in the dark jewelry walks.  We talked about Halloween and Christmas.  The lantern even prompted a discussion about life before electrical technologies as she asked me what people used lanterns for. 
I had the most amazing evening and by the look of happiness on my daughter's face when we arrived home, I am certain she had the same experience.   No one can ever take this evening away from either of us and this priceless night cost us one tea light candle. 
Make time for your children and go for a walk with them.  Lantern and matching clothing optional, however discussion is required.  Provide an experience like Disney does, one that is magical and memorable.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment