Monday, September 10, 2012

Walking Trails

Walking provides a number of physical benefits and can also can give you mental and emotional boosts as well.   Walking is not my only form of exercise, but rather a compliment to the other cardiovascular activities I participate in. For me, walking is also a form of meditation, reflection and a way for me to tap into thoughts and ideas that otherwise would not present themselves when my mind is otherwise preoccupied.   
Walking in your neighborhood is convenient, but you have to deal with traffic and you can easily talk yourself into returning home prematurely. 
If you are tired of walking the same route every time or you are looking for a more scenic experience, click HERE to find trails in your area with details about the trail you select.  When you are walking on a scenic route, the distractions of nature can make you forget how far you are walking so I have found that I walk many more steps when I am on a trail versus just walking in my neighborhood.
I use this link to find not only trails in our area but also when I am traveling I like to know what trails are nearby in case I get a opportunity for a walk.
When you go for your walk, don't forget to bring your favorite music (but enjoy the silence and sounds of nature, too), plenty of water, a good friend or a camera.  The main goal is to get some exercise and to allow your mind to escape from the stresses of daily life.   I promise you your mood will improve if you incorporate walks into your daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment