Friday, September 14, 2012

Homemade Hummus

*Casie Here*
I wanted to share my homemade hummus with you. 
 The KEY secret to the whole thing is this: You HAVE to roast your garlic in the oven before you make it. It makes all the difference in the recipe.
                                                                    Here is what I do: 
       2-3 whole bulbs garlic (you could just do one, but I love 3) very top part sliced off put in foil, drizzled with a tiny bit of olive oil. Close up the foil tight, place on a baking sheet. Some oil can leak out I have found, so use the sheet ~ 350 for about 30-35 mins. You want it to be soft.
Take it out of the oven and let it cool to the touch, because you have to be able to squeeze it out and it can't be burning hot to do that.
                                                          In a Food Processor throw in: 
                                                        1 can chic peas INCLUDING the liquid
                                                       1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
You could do two cans of the Garbanzo (Chic Peas), I switch off between the two kinds to change it up a bit from week to week. Either are delicious!!!


2 tbs. Tahini paste  
                                                                   1 whole lime juiced 

                                                    Lots of cumin, 1 tbs. (I love cumin!)
                                                                      Salt & Pepper
                               Little Olive Oil streamed in to make smooth and come together.

                                             Add the garlic cloves (squeezed out of their skin)
6 Kalamata Olives, pitted (this is optional, I don't use these very often, but they are good in it)
I usually put in a few sun dried tomatoes (LOVE these).
  I always have it on hand. ALWAYS. I always make sure to have my ingredients on hand. It is a quick, healthy snack or can make a fast meal. I just make batch after batch and constantly have some in the fridge when one runs out. 
 Here is a fast lunch or dinner idea. Take a tortilla, spread on some hummus, throw on some chopped veggies (whatever you have in the house). On this is cabbage, celery, zucchini, carrot, tomatoes, cucumber & olives)
Add some avocado and roll it up. Done! Super yummy and quick. 
I have sent this to school for lunch with Sophie and she loves it! 
Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment