Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mock Egg/Tuna/Chicken Salad

*Casie Here*
This recipe I made is a refreshing salad perfect for lunch! I used to use pretty much the same ingredients in my egg, chicken and tuna salad sandwiches. So, this recipe reminded me of all of them in one because it doesn't contain any meat, fish or eggs! 
 I started with 1/2 of an onion chopped finely. I didn't take a picture of that (not sure why). I chopped up about 3-4 ribs of celery. I like all the ingredients for these salads chopped really tiny (just personal preference).
 Used the food processor to chop up about 4 smaller carrots (not baby carrots, just smaller whole carrots).
 There was still some onion pieces left from when I ran the onion through there.
 1 can of chic peas (drained) and whizzed in the food processor. 
 This part is your "egg, chicken or tuna".

 This my friends is the *SECRET* ingredient. Shhhhh
 Add about 1/4 cup of Dill Relish. *DO NOT USE SWEET PICKLE RELISH*
 Mix it all together. 
I added some left over Cashew cream dressing that I had in the fridge. Here is how I made this one:

We get whole raw cashews from Whole Foods from the bulk bins. We get quite a bit and keep them in the freezer and I just pull out however much I need at a time.
For this recipe I soak 1 cup of whole raw cashews in a bowl of water on the counter overnight or at least 8 hours (lots of times I go over 8 hours ~ totally fine just don't go like 2-3 days).
When I'm ready to make it, I just drain the water it was soaking in and throw the soaked cashews in the blender (we have a Vita mix) you could also use just any blender or a food processor.
I put in the juice of one lemon.
I use 1- 2 avocados (1 if it's on the bigger side and 2 if they're on the smaller side), just take out the seed and scoop out the rest, plop it in the blender too.
Some shakes of Dill Weed
Garlic if you want (real ~ and I would roast it in the oven or powdered) I didn't use any the other night, but have had it before in there and it's really good.
Salt & Pepper to taste
Blend it up.
I add water slowly until it comes to the consistency I want. Thicker for dip, little thinner for salad dressing!
I put it in a used glass jar that had been cleaned and keep it in the fridge. Surprisingly, it's doesn't turn brown and lasts pretty much a week! 

*BUT* you could just use some Vegenaise. It's what I would have used if I didn't have any of the Cashew cream and I have used it before and it's really good. 


I also used a dollop of my homemade hummus that I always have in the fridge. 
Final touches are salt & pepper, a little cumin and some dill weed. 
_______________________________________

You could stop right here and I definitely would if this is your first time having it. It is FABULOUS right here, right now. YUMMMMM
 Eat it plain, with healthy chips or pretzels, on a pita, sandwich thin, whole wheat toast, tortilla, etc... 

Now, I decided to get crazy because I think I was craving this salad too, so I just married them together. 
I made this Taboule Wheat according to the box basically really hot water mixed with the stuff in the box and put in the fridge, covered for 1/2 hour.
I chopped up some Kalamata Olives maybe like 8-10

 Chopped up some Flavorino Tomatoes.

 Mixed all this together with the salad above including the Taboule when it was done.
 This was the end result. 
 I will call it a Taboule 'Chicken' Salad. Hee hee 
 It was really good the first day for lunch, but WAY better the second day after all the flavors were able to meld together. Try it you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment