Thursday, April 11, 2013

Roasted Veggies and Rice Medley

- Vernon's Creation - 
 
I cooked rice in the rice cooker.  I seasoned the rice with a dash of salt and a teaspoon of turmeric.
 
While the rice was cooking, I chopped up regular fingerling potatoes, sweet potatoes, yellow/red/orange peppers, celery, yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes and frozen collard greens.
 
I mixed a tablespoon of Casie's homemade hummus with the fingerling potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash and zucchini and then broiled them in the oven until they were soft and lightly browned.
 
Once the rice was done, I placed the celery, tomatoes, peppers and collard greens into the rice cooker with the rice for about 10 minutes and allowed the heat/steam of the cooker to soften the vegetables. 
 
I combined the broiled vegetables with the rice and vegetables. 
 
I added a bit more turmeric, salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash's seasoning for flavor and 1/2 cup of water to the mix to moisten.
 
I forgot to add onions, beans or mushrooms, but those would have been welcome additions.
 
 

We ate this for lunch, I took some the next day for work, we packed some for our daughter's school lunch and had enough left over to give to my parents. 

This was one of those meals that I created without any recipe for guidance.  I was merely using up what vegetables we had on hand that needed to be used up.  The collection of nutrients in this dish is extensive.  I love that my children enjoy this type of food.  I am going to be using the collard greens much more often.  They are so healthy for you and yet you don't even taste them in a dish like this

The Mrs. Dash and the hummus really brought out some great flavors in this dish.

I hope you give something like this a try at your house. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment