Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tofu Scramble

*Casie Here*
For Easter brunch I made this vegan dish to bring so my family would have something to eat without meat or cheese in it. I used a bunch of different ideas from a bunch of cookbooks and came up with this.
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped

Saute those in a tiny bit of Coconut oil until the onions are caramelized and translucent.

I has some portabella mushrooms, so I chopped those up. I have definitely substituted canned mushrooms too, no problem whatever you have on hand. AND all of these ingredients are adjustable. If you don't like something, omit it. If you have other vegetables in your fridge, put those in. This is really easy to change up with whatever you have on hand. 
2 stalks of celery, 1 carrot, 1/4 of yellow and red peppers, all chopped.

6 stalks of asparagus
1 yellow squash and 1 zucchini, chopped.



1 block of extra firm tofu is what I had, but you can use any texture, it doesn't have to be firm. Drain off the excess water. *Note: we really try to limit our use of Tofu and soy products in general. There is research that says that too much soy can affect estrogen levels in girls*
Break it all up into fine crumbles with your spoon.

I added about 1 1/2 TBS of Nutritional Yeast
1 TBS spicy brown mustard
Some shakes of turmeric and salt & pepper
Mix it all together
I made this 'cream' by soaking 1 cup of raw cashews overnight in water. Drain the water off the next day and put in a blender. I added the juice of 1 lemon, 1 TBS coconut oil, little salt and some shakes of dried dill weed. Blended it all up and added some water slowly until it was cream consistency. I had 1/2 an avocado, so I added that too. This 'cream' can be used to make any dish, well...creamy. Think of it as sour cream or Alfredo sauce. It just adds a great creamy texture and richer flavor to any dish. You can use it on bean burritos instead of sour cream or add to pasta sauce to make it creamier. It is so versatile. Just change up the spices when you blend it up to fit whatever you will be putting it with. You could also just use salt and no other seasonings to keep it very neutral for many different dishes.
I added a good size amount like about 1 cup to this whole pan.
That was about it. 
Last minute I decided to chop up some kale and add that too. *TIP* you need to wash kale REALLY well. 
This is what I found after washing the kale. It's blurry, but it's a gnat. Eeeeewwww
And these little fellas too. Double Eeeeeewwww. So, I washed those three leaves like 5 more times and  there were still tiny bugs floating in the water. I think it's easy for them to get up in the crevasses of the kale. 
I chopped the kale and threw it in too. I was glad I did. It was really good in there!

And that folks can be breakfast, brunch or even breakfast for dinner (Brinner)!!! The kids loved it and it was a hit at Easter. There was NONE left to take home. Everyone gobbled it up and I heard no complaints!!! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment