Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cafe Gratitude in Kansas City

*Casie Here*
 For lunch we went to another Vegan restaurant (imagine that). *I really did my research before we came and scoped out all the good places!!! This was Cafe Gratitude (website HERE). All I can say is WOW. Well, that's not all I can say, actually I have a LOT to say about this fabulous restaurant. They are 100% organic and their mission: "We select the finest organic ingredients to honor the earth and ourselves, as we are one and the same. We support local farmers, sustainable agriculture and environmentally friendly products. Our food is prepared with love." The whole atmosphere of this place is awesome. You feel so good when you are in this place. It is filled with kindness and love and positive people. 
The water glasses they bring to the table all have affirmation words etched in them! Our first one said AMAZING.
Our second one said DEVOTED. Too cute!
 We ordered fun drinks. I got the I AM EFFERVESCENT. It was house made ginger-ale served on ice with fresh ginger juice, lemon juice & agave topped with sparkling water. It was delish!!!! A tad spicy, but not too much. Very refreshing and felt way healthier than Ginger ale soda. Vernon got the I AM REJUVENATED. Wheat grass Cocktail. Apple juice, fresh lemon & ginger juice, wheat grass, sparkling water. But the waiter said he substitutes Algae instead of the wheat grass because the wheat grass really flushes you out and unless you are near a restroom after you have it, it's probably not a great idea. Since Vernon had to go back to class, he decided to go with the algae substitute. It was really good. 
Our waiter was so great. A real genuinely nice guy. He took his time with us and chit chatted for a while. He was so helpful and just made us feel great. There he is below behind Vernon. Hi Matt!!!

I AM PRESENT was our appetizer. Seasonal bruschetta- toasted baguette with cashew mozzarella topped with tomatoes, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette & fresh basil. This was SOOOOOOOOOOO good. That cashew mozzarella was HEAVENLY. It was so creamy and similar to goat cheese, but way better. The flavor was not as bitter as goat cheese and it wasn't as crumbly, just smooth and rich. SO. FREAKING. GOOD.  I NEED that recipe....like NOW!!!


 This is on every plate, bowl and serving dish at the restaurant. How awesome?!?!
 I am definitely grateful for that cashew mozzarella and would be even more grateful if I had the recipe. Just sayin'! 
 The restaurant reminded us of a quaint, cozy little place down in the Old Market! 

 I AM GORGEOUS was my salad. You have to say the name of the dish when you order and when they bring it to your table they affirm you saying, "You are gorgeous". It makes you smile, even chuckle. People these days are not used to hearing such positive talk and love from strangers. It was pretty wonderful. Anyway, it was a large café salad with mixed greens, carrots, kale, cucumber, mint, basil, apples, figs & hemp seeds with a sesame ginger dressing.


 Very, very yummy. So many flavors and colors. It just makes you happy eating this outrageously healthy food and knowing that you are making your body happy as well.
 Vernon got the I AM PURE salad. Ginger-tahini kale salad with avocado, sea palm, cucumber, carrots, cilantro, basil & green onions topped with sprouts & teriyaki almonds. Vernon actually closed his eyes after his first bite of this, saying it was THAT good. Our waiter said this was his favorite salad too. 
 I liked both the salads but mine just a hair more. But his was even healthier than mine!
 Just enough dressing, but not too much. It was perfect.
I AM GRACIOUS was my entree. Hemp seed pesto bowl with brown rice or quinoa, shredded kale, tomatoes & Brazil nut parmesan drizzled with olive oil & topped with sprouts we added avocado. So many great flavors and it was warm and filling. We both liked mine the best, but seriously both were really, really good.
  Vernon ordered the I AM WHOLE. A macrobiotic bowl with sea vegetables, kale, carrots, house-made kim chee & sprouts, choice of quinoa or brown rice with tahini-garlic sauce & teriyaki almonds


 With the bill comes a game piece to this Gratitude game in the restaurant. You are supposed to answer the questions with the people at your table. For my answer I said the aspect of nature that completely supports my existence is nature's BEAUTY in general. I try to find the good in most situations and people. I love snow and how magnificent it is and how after a snow storm it is so calm and peaceful and NEW (like a blank canvas). That is why I have a snowflake tattoo. I love Antelope Canyon in Arizona and how it formed such beautiful lines and shapes. It's awe-inspiring and a wonder that something like that can be made in nature. I love flowers and think how intricate each one is formed is so amazing. I especially love all the colors and find it fascinating that those colors just developed over time and grow up out of the ground from dirt and they are so vibrant and make you happy looking at them. I love lakes next to mountains. I usually have an awesome picture as my background of my computer of snow-capped mountains with a teal blue lake at the base. Breathtaking and gorgeous. I love clouds especially from the top (like in an airplane). They are so fluffy and pillowy, like you could jump right on them. I love the mysteriousness of fog and how you have to really work to see through it. The best is when the sun is shining through the fog and it glistens. That to me is beauty. So, I couldn't choose just one. I love everything about nature and am constantly thankful that I live in a climate where I get to experience seasons and changes and not be the same ol' same ol' all the time. 
Vernon said sunlight, and sunshine because it provides energy to plants to make them grow and he feels that's how he is with people, giving them 'energy' so they can grow. 
We absolutely fell in love (at first sight) with this restaurant. You can't help but feel warm and fuzzy when you leave there. We loved it so much that we made reservations to go back for brunch/lunch tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment