Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Healthy Noodles with lots of veggies!

 
Daddy made supper and this is what I concocted.  I didn't have a recipe to follow, was just using up some items we had on hand and needed to be used up.  I trimmed the base of the ASPARAGUS and rinsed them with diluted vinegar and water.
 
 
 
 
After drying the asparagus, I drizzled a little BRAGGS LIQUID AMINOS on the vegetables instead of using soy sauce or salt to season.  If you want, you can also add just a small amount of olive oil or grape seed oil to the vegetables.  Don't add too much of the oil as there is a lot of fat in those oils.

 
I cut the asparagus into smaller pieces as it is easier to cut prior to roasting. 

 
I roasted these for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees, turning the vegetables with a fork or tongs every 5 minutes.  Watch them closely as you don't want them to come out too under/over cooked.  These taste even better if they are grilled, but the weather wasn't very inviting on this day to grill these outside.



Regular pasta with no nutritional value is not allowed in our house.   For us to serve it, it has to be multigrain or vegetable pasta.  We are often asked where we get our protein from and here is one of our many sources.  


 
I also had some KALE I needed to use up so I tore the leaves off the thick stems (the stems have a bitter taste) and placed them in the blender with jarred pasta sauce and canned mushrooms (we were out of fresh mushrooms).  To give the mixture a creamy sauce, I added just enough original flavored almond milk (NOT VANILLA FLAVORED) to allow for blending of the solid material.  We had some pesto in the refrigerator, so I added a teaspoon of that to the blended mixture, too.  If you don't have kale, you could substitute spinach leaves.

 
I drained the pasta and placed it back into the pot that it was boiling in and then poured in the blended mixture.  With just a bit of stirring to get all the sauce on the pasta, we were set to serve the pasta with the side of asparagus.
 
This meal really didn't take long and there were leftovers for me to take to work the next morning.  Yes, the kids ate their portion and the boys requested second portions on the pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment