Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Best Soup EVER!!!

I make this type of soup often, but for some reason tonight was really, REALLY good. We really loved it!!! 
 I wanted to write it down before I forgot what I did. 
I started by roasting in a 350 oven a butternut squash halved, seeds scooped out, drizzled with little olive oil, placed flesh side down. Along with 2 sweet potatoes and about 10 mini finger potatoes, chopped. 
I also roasted 2 whole garlic cloves with tops chopped off and olive oil drizzled over them in foil in the oven along with the squash and potatoes. 
 I sauteed in 1/2 stick of butter (Earth Balance) 1 big onion, chopped until translucent. At this point I added thyme, oregano, turmeric, celery salt, basil, cumin, salt & pepper to warm the spices and bring out the full flavor. I added chopped portabella mushrooms, 4 stalks celery, 2 carrots, 2 little yellow squash, 1 big zucchini, 1 big parsnip, 2 cups kale, 1 cup fresh parsley. 1 box vegetable broth, 1 lime, juiced, 1 cup red lentils, 1 can coconut milk, 1 can white cannelloni beans, 1 can of kidney beans both drained and rinsed. I added the things from the oven after they were gently roasted (about 35 mins). I added about 4 cups of water since it was a little thick.
It was so, so good. I am glad we have LOTS left over for the rest of the week!!! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment