Thursday, January 24, 2013

Broccoli Snob? Yes, that would be me.

Broccoli is one of the vegetables I attempt to consume most days of the week.  Not only does broccoli provide numerous nutritional benefits (CLICK HERE to view an article about the health benefits of broccoli) but it is a very easy food item to prepare for my lunch that I will eat at work or on the drive home.   Broccoli is generally more accepted by children and young adults compared to other vegetables and so it is a great option to use in your family's plant-strong menu.
 
To prepare for my work lunch, I place 2-3 cups of frozen organic broccoli into a leak proof container in the morning before I leave for work and by the late afternoon the broccoli has thawed and is ready for consumption. 
 
One problem with eating broccoli so often is that I have realized I have become a broccoli snob. Who knew such a person could exist?  Once I began trying different brands of broccoli, I found that there were subtle differences in taste between the various brands.  I did not find organic broccoli at Walmart or Sam's Club, but the conventional broccoli didn't have as clean of a taste.  The frozen organic broccoli at Costco had a bit of a dirty/earthy taste that made me feel like I was forcing myself to consume the entire portion.  My favorite of the frozen organic broccoli is the 365 Brand by Whole Foods.  One bag was $1.99 the last time I was at Whole Foods and I calculate 2 bags to cover 3 lunches.
 
When people tell me that they don't have time to prepare healthy snacks or that eating healthy is too expensive, I direct them to broccoli.  This is a very easy and cost effective meal to consume on a regular basis.   
 
Below is a video that discusses how preparation methods affect broccoli's nutritional absorption.

No comments:

Post a Comment