Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

  Soph and I made these granola bars this week. We used the recipe HERE, but made some changes. I wrote them in below).
They were really easy and delicious. 

Ingredients:

(I doubled this recipe. I had the ingredients out anyway, so I just made twice as much.)

  • 4 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (I only had sweetened)
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate chips* (I only had dairy free one, they are so good. I get them at Target)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (I only had Sea Salt)
  • 1/2 cup canola oil (I used Coconut oil)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup honey (I used a mix of honey, agave and brown rice syrup to make 1 cup worth ~ just cause)

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 325 F.

2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.

4. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir to combine.

5. Place granola mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and shape into a rectangle, about 13 x 9 x 1 inch thick. (I did 2 cookie sheets so they were thinner)

6. Bake for 40 minutes. (only took 20 mins since they were thinner)

7. Allow to cool completely then cut into 3 x 1 inch bars. 

*BIG TIP* I cut the bars shortly after they came out of the oven, when they were still warm. It was so much easier that when they harden up.

* You can substitute raisins or other dried fruit for the chocolate chips.

** Individually wrapped, the bars will remain fresh for several weeks. (Ours didn't last that long)




No comments:

Post a Comment