Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Earthy Wheat Bread

*Casie Here*

This morning for New Years breakfast, I made this bread that I have been wanting to make for a while. I was given the recipe by a friend. I made a couple changes and will tell you what I did (In purple).
Overall this is pretty healthy.

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
1 cup whole-wheat flour
(My flour is mixed with both, so I just did 2 1/2 cups of my own flour)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup old fashion oats, plus extra for the top
(I think I used just a little more ~ I love oats)
1/4 cup flax seed, plus extra for the top
(I didn't use this much flax, it seemed like a lot ~ I used just a little less)
3 TBS. baking powder
(I didn't use this much baking powder, it seemed like WAY TOO MUCH ~ I used 2 TBS.)
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
(I had Earth Balance sticks)
1/2 cup grated carrots 
(2 good sized carrots is what I used)
1/2 cup chopped dates
(I think I used 6, remember to remove the pits)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
(I used Walnuts instead ~ all I had)
1 cup half and half, plus 1 tablespoon for top of bread
(I used 1 cup of vanilla almond milk)

Heat oven to 375, grease 8x8 baking dish. In bowl mix everything up until the butter. 
Add the butter & cut it into the dry ingredients until it looks like coarse sand.
I put my carrots and dates in my food processor (my walnuts were already chopped). Toss all together. Add milk and blend until everything is moist. Press dough into pan. Brush top with extra milk, sprinkle extra oats and seeds on top. Bake 35-40 mins. until toothpick comes out clean. Cool & cut. Best to have day of!




No comments:

Post a Comment